Mark Menderchuk, a self-described “wrestling guru” and former sandwich artist from Cleveland, declared today that “2022 is shaping up to be the best year ever,” and he already has a half-dozen candidates for “Match of the Year.”
On his wrestling blog, Mark’n Out, Menderchuk described six matches — all of which happened on Saturday January 1, 2022 — as potential candidates for his year-end “Best Of 2022” blog in roughly 361 days.
Menderchuk’s current “shortlist” for Match of the Year includes:
- Jay Lethal vs. Jungle Boy, AEW Dark taping, January 1, 2022
- Gregory Iron vs. Minoru Suzuki (60-minute Ironman match), GCW, Atlantic City, NJ, January 1, 2022
- Nick Gage vs. Rickey Shane Page, GCW, Atlantic City, January 1, 2022
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr., NJPW, Aomori City, January 1, 2022
- El Spasmolitico vs. Jaguar Sr. vs. Mascaras Maracas vs. Rob Conway vs. Montezuma Vengeance, AAA, Mexico City, January 1, 2022
- Josh Alexander vs. Eric Young, Alpha-1 Wrestling, Hamilton Ontario, January 1, 2022
Lest one assume Menderchuk is not a very discerning fan, it should be noted that he also has 78 candidates already for Worst Match of 2022.