Spike TV’s sudden announcement that it will no longer broadcast Impact Wrestling seemed to spell doom for Total Non-Stop Action (TNA) Wrestling, but the promotion has reportedly inked a promising new TV deal with the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN).
Starting in September, Impact Wrestling will be added to the Wednesday afternoon line-up on OWN, sandwiched between Divine Design and Life With LaToya.
Although the predominantly female demographic of OWN is a stark change from Spike TV’s male-dominated viewership, TNA president Dixie Carter is reportedly confident that “ratings can only go up.”
According to a contract leaked online, the deal with OWN will necessitate some changes to the format and presentation of Impact Wrestling, including:
- The program will only be 30 minutes long, and will include at least one makeover per episode
- Dr. Oz will do all drug testing for TNA, to ensure wrestlers are on a strict regimen of homeopathic remedies and The Dr. Oz Miracle Lemon Ginger Cleanse®
- Every episode will be broadcast from a gently lit studio, where members of a studio audience will cheer wildly in hopes that Oprah will give away free stuff
- The TNA roster will be at least 80 percent female, and contain no fewer than three fabulous interior decorators
- Absolutely no fighting will be allowed
According to a recent poll, the majority of wrestling fans surveyed said they plan to continue not watching Impact Wrestling.