Breaking from its tradition of broadcasting pay-per-view events live, World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) pre-taped its annual Royal Rumble event to avoid any unexpected bloopers or botches.
The company has been hush-hush about its new pre-tape policy in hopes of maintaining the illusion of a live broadcast, but all WWE programming will henceforth be recorded and edited in advance (except Total Divas, which will be broadcast live).
Though it will still be shown on the WWE Network at 8pm EST this Sunday, Royal Rumble event was performed at an Orlando soundstage this morning, with the “audience” added through digital effects during post-production (listen for the new “Vince is Awesome” chants).
Here are the results:
- A “fatal four-way” tag match featuring Darren Young, Damien Sandow, The Ascension, The Dudley Boyz and some other ham-and-eggers was cancelled to make room for an Xavier Woods trombone solo
- Charlotte, accompanied as always by her grandmother, got her lass kicked by Becky Lynch
- Alberto Del Rio and Kalisto reached a truce and teamed up to become Mexicools 2.0
- Due to a contractual typo, Kevin Owens and Dean Ambrose had a very brief “First Man Standing” match, which ended in a draw
- A number of surprise entrants joined the 30-man Royal Rumble match, including AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura (now named Shiny McNamara), Colt Cabana (now named Bartholomew Goldmansteinschweinbaum), Razor Ramon, Austin Aries (now named Aaron Awesome), Festus, Luke Gallows, Big LG, CM Punk, Goldberg, Jimmy Valiant, and Shane McMahon. The match was won by Kane.
Stay tuned to Kayfabe News this Sunday for results of Monday’s Raw.