Thanks to the wonders of digital streaming, wrestling fans can watch practically any WWE event from the past — and some of those past events may contain little surprises that you never noticed the first time around.
For example, we here at Kayfabe News decided to finally watch Survivor Series 1997 — it’s been on the to-watch list for decades now! — and it was one heck of a show, but something seemed very bizarre about how the main event ended.
We recommend you watch that match, Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, and pay special attention to the closing moments of the bout. Watch carefully, and you might notice:
- Bret Hart cannot actually be seen tapping to the Sharpshooter maneuver applied by Shawn Michaels
- Referee Earl Hebner seems to call for the bell prematurely
- Longtime WWE commentator Vince McMahon is at ringside after the match, and Bret Hart seems to be unhappy about it (perhaps they had backstage “heat” over McMahon’s play-by-play?)
- Shawn Michaels does not seem to be overjoyed to win the championship, instead scuttling away without celebration
- After the match, Bret Hart surprisingly spells the word “WOW” in the air with his finger. Why?
It’s a fun match, albeit a little short, but the ending seems just slightly amiss. Go back and watch it and let us know what you think!