World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) announced today that Sting will be among the 2016 class of the WWE Hall of Fame.
While every wrestling fan is well-acquainted with Sting’s most famous accomplishments — slamming Andre the Giant, defeating Bret Hart in a “screwjob,” and so on — you might not know some of these more obscure factoids about “The Beast Incarnate”!
7. After performing for years as a blond, spikey-haired surfer-style babyface, Sting adopted in the late-1990s a darker and more sinister persona inspired by comic book character Catwoman.
6. Sting had a brief but unremarkable tenure in WCW, during which he notoriously threw the WWF Women’s Championship in the trash.
5. Sting should not be confused with a British rock singer and bassist who rose to fame in the 1970s, Lemmy.
4. Sting wrestled for several months in WWE as a patriotic masked man, Mr. America, and was later revealed to be Hornswoggle’s father.
3. The peak of Sting’s career was his tenure with Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling, during which it became the world’s dominant pro wrestling promotion — a distinction it still holds to this day.
2. Sting was once in a tag team with the Ultimate Warrior. At the time, Sting was known as Ax, the Ultimate Warrior was known as Smash, and they were collectively known as “Strike Force.”
1. Sting’s record in WWE is extraordinary, having only lost two matches since his debut.